2006-08-09

가짜 한국인? (Fake Korean?) --;;;;

I had an appointment with Spicebears and her friend Aini on Monday afternoon. After having lunch near HUFS, we went to Itaewon[이태원] to buy some Muslim food for Aini.
Spicebears and Aini were shocked when they found out that I don't know much about Korean TV dramas and popsingers. They both kept asking me "ARE YOU REALLY KOREAN???"
(Oh yes, I am, although I'm not quite sure whether I'm really 100% pure Korean or not - who knows whether there is someone of Chinese, Mongolian, Japanese, or even Indian descent among my ancestors?)
Anyway, they looked so shocked that made me somewhat embarrassed, but actually that's something that I'm already used to see from my foreign friends.

I've thought about some more things of me that does not fit to be a 'typical Korean':

- I don't like drinking, and I hate Soju[소주].
- I'm not very fond of Samgyeopsal[삼겹살].
- I've never tried dog meat (the so-called 'Boshintang[보신탕]').
- I've never eaten Beondegi([번데기]: cooked chrysalis sold on the street).
- I've never eaten Sannakji([산낙지]: alive octopus).
- I don't like calling my boyfriend(who is older than me) 'Obba([오빠]: older brother)'.

Hmmm.... what else?


Oh yes, and it was the first time I went to Itaewon. (I've been living in Seoul since 1993.)

^^;


*Updated on Aug.19th, 1:17am

... and I don't like going to Noraebang([노래방] - karaoke)

15 comments:

danielinamerica said...

nice blog, do you have many american friends?

Song said...

No, most of my foreign friends are Chinese:)

Spicebears 스파이스베어 said...

Are you really Korean ... hahha ;P

Song said...

^^;;;;

flowerful said...

I don't like watching korean soap operas either.

Ronnie Ng said...

actually i also couldn't feel the "Korean" in you..i mean, personally i've made Korean friends & surfed korean blogs & cyworld..so roughly i have a feel of how a Korean is typically like...but somehow i couldn't relate you with the rest of the Koreans whom i'm typically acquainted with... but then, having said that, feelings can be wrong too... If you're a Korean, you're a Korean & no one-else can deny this fact..

Song said...

To Flowerful: 요즘은 그동안 일하느라 못본 드라마 다 챙겨보느라 드라마광이 되어버렸답니다 ㅋㅋㅋ 알바 관두니까 그건 좋더라구요^^;; 주몽, 투명인간 최장수, 얼마나 좋길래 , 내 사랑 못난이, 소문난 칠공주, 서울1945 등등...
개강하면 이런 여유가 없겠죠...

To Ronnie: 재밌군요^^ Would you tell me more in detail plz? 예를 들면, '전형적인 한국인'의 모습은 과연 어떠한가... why you couldn't feel the 'Korean' in me...
궁금해서요^^

Ronnie Ng said...

well.. besides 100% korean friends, i hv korean friends of various ethnic/mixed parentages... japanese-korean, chinese-korean, american-korean & china-born-korean from Shenyang 심양 & Yanbian 연변..each of them have different kind of feel... Koreans that i know are rather familiar with current trends, fashions & have a fair idea of their local entertainment scene..they are also generally brand-conscious..such as LV bags, POLO t-shirts, puma bags, Nike, Adidas... Koreans & Japanses have a peculiar style of dressing which is different from Chinese & south-east asians... My vibes about you is that, you're more chinese & less korean..or at least i can relate u to be similar to my friends from shenyang & yanbian.. but their korean accent & structure is different, coz they have 연변말투

Song said...

That's interesting. What made you think so? Coz I'm not very familiar with the newest trend such as most Korean youngsters are?

Ronnie Ng said...

그냥 그낌으로...just the "feel", based on your blog, your pics, the way you write, etc...

anyway, it doesn't matter, does it?

Song said...

No, it doesn't matter, but I think it would be more interesting to hear some more detail "WHY" you got such an impression.

Sandy, 샌디 said...

I once thought you were chinese too ㅎㅎ

Zaiming said...

alive octopus? I think I won't try either. Anyway, I used to try Soju a few times - it was not bad.

Anonymous said...

미안하지만...누나, Are you joking?

...누나 진짜 외국 사람인 것 같아요ㅋㅋ.

저도 소주와 삼겹살 좋지 않아요.

D'Jaym said...

I don't like eat 번데기, 개고기, 산낙지 and even 떡볶이.. I hate eating hot(뜨거운,매운) foods.